Pappa al Pomodoro (Chilled Tomato and Bread Soup)
Adapted from Mario Batali: Molto Italiano 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
- 3 to 4 pounds very ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1-1/2 cups torn up day old bread
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices baguette, toasted and cooled
Step 1: In a food processor, blend tomatoes until liquid.
Step 2: Add day old bread, basil, thyme, olive oil, water, and generously season with salt and pepper. If too thick, thin with more cold water. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Divide cool tomato soup among 4 bowls. Place 1 slice baguette in center of each bowl, and top with the scallions.