Spicy Coconut Tapioca with Mango and Blackberries
Adapted from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup tapioca
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- grated zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 serrano chile (optional)
- 1/2 whole nutmeg, crushed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- Mango and Blackberry salad (see below for recipe)
Step 1: Put tapioca in a bowl, pour 2 cups of cold water over it, and let site for 1 hour.
Step 2: Combine the coconut milk, cinnamon sticks, ginger, zest, serrano, nutmeg, and sugar in a large saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until reduced to 3 cups (about 25 to 30 minutes).
Step 3: Set a medium bowl in a large bowl of ice water.
Step 4: Strain the coconut milk mixture into a medium saucepan. Drain the tapioca and add it to the pan. Place the pan over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into the bowl set in the ice water bath and stir until cool.
Step 5: Whisk the simple syrup and creme fraiche into the coconut milk-tapioca mixture. Serve immediately, in bowls topped with mango and blackberry salad.
Mango and Blackberry Salad
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
Step 1: Combine the mango, blackberries, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and ginger in a medium bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Remove the vanilla bean before garnishing with fresh mint leaves and serving. This can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.