Rudy's Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing
Makes 12 to 14 servings
- 2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth (or add enough chicken broth to moisten your bread crumb mixture)
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large skillet cook celery, carrots, and onions in hot butter over medium heat until tender but not brown. Remove from heat. Stir in sage and poultry seasoning.
Step 2: Place bread cubes in large bowl; add onion mixture.
Step 3: Drizzle with enough chicken broth to moisten your bread crumb mixture; toss lightly to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Place stuffing in a 2-quart casserole dish.
Step 4: Bake, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through. Top with fresh sage.