Rudy's Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing
Makes 12 to 14 servings
- 2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth (or add enough chicken broth to moisten your bread crumb mixture)
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large skillet cook celery and onions in hot butter over medium heat until tender but not brown. Remove from heat. Stir in sage and poultry seasoning. in this picture, my father sometimes added carrots. If you want a traditional stuffing for your turkey, leave out the carrots.
Step 2: Place bread cubes in large bowl; add onion mixture.
Step 3: Drizzle with enough chicken broth to moisten your bread crumb mixture; toss lightly to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Place stuffing in a 2-quart casserole dish.
Step 4: Bake, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through. Top with fresh sage.