Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces of button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
Step 1: In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until onions are softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 2: Once the onions are translucent add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 3: Add the wine to the toasting rice.
Step 4: Once all the wine has evaporated, add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed.
Step 5: Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes.
Step 6: Stir in the cheese until well mixed. Serve with extra cheese.