Martha Stewart's Braised Turkey Thighs with Applesauce
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 turkey thighs (about 2 pounds total)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 Cortland or Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 2 cups apple cider
- 14.5 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season turkey on both sides with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down. Cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 8 minutes.
Step 2: Transfer turkey to a plate and add shallots to pot. Cook until shallots soften, about 5 minutes. Add apples and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Return turkey, skin side up, to pot; add cider and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, then place pot in oven. Cook 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; cook 30 minutes more.
Step 4: Remove pot from oven and transfer turkey to a plate. Skim fat from cooking liquid and stir in vinegar. Slice meat off bones (discard bones) and serve turkey with apples and pan sauce.