Chicken Paillard with Fresh Peaches and Blue Cheese
Adapted from Tyler Florence: Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Anytime
Makes 4 servings
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound pancetta
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound blue cheese, broken into hunks
- 1 bunch of arugula, trimmed
- 4 small fresh peaches, quartered (you can use a variety of fruit--figs, nectarines, peaches)
- Tarragon leaves, for garnish
Step 1: First whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl and set it aside.
Step 2: Sandwich the chicken breasts between 2 layers of plastic wrap and pound them very thin with the side of a meat cleaver or a rolling pin. Remove the chicken breasts from the plastic and season well on both sides with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Unroll the pancetta so it looks like big strips of bacon. Add it to the pan and fry it like a tangle of bacon until the fat is rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Step 4: Drizzle a 2-count of olive oil into the pan with the pancetta drippings. Add the chicken and pan fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side to brown the breasts and cook them through.
Step 5: Use a spatula to remove the chicken to the paper towels with the pancetta.
Step 6: Add the vinaigrette to the saute pan and heat for a few minutes, stirring, to deglaze the bits of pancetta and chicken from the bottom of the pan; take the pan off the heat.
Step 7: To serve, arrange the chicken on a platter. Scatter the blue cheese, arugula, peaches, and pancetta over. Drizzle the dressing over everything and garnish with the tarragon leaves.