Double Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 5 cups
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound best-quality semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Step 1: Combine cocoa and the boiling water, stirring until cocoa has dissolved.
Step 2: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, and salt until pale and fluffy.
Step 3: Reduce speed to low. Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the cocoa mixture and vanilla.