Thai Shrimp Curry
Adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2011
- 3 large limes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-to 3/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 13-1/2- to 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 16 to 18 peeled deveined uncooked large shrimp
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Step 1: Finely grate enough peel from 2 limes to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons. Squeeze enough juice from 2 limes to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut third lime into wedges.
Step 2: Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallots, diced red bell pepper, and minced jalapeno and ginger; sautè until shallots are tender and peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons lime peel, and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Simmer gently, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to curry sauce. Return to very gentle simmer and cook just until shrimp are opaque in center, 5 to 6 minutes.
Step 4: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently stir in cilantro and basil; serve with lime wedges.