Makes around 30 cupcakes
For the cupcake:
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (312.5 grams)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 pound medium carrots (6 to 7 carrots), peeled
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar (297 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (99 grams)
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil, safflower oil, or canola oil
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound (1 box) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 3 cupcake pans with paper liners
Step 2: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in large bowl; set aside.
Step 3: In food processor fitted with large shredding disk (see below for mixer method), shred carrots (you should have about 3 cups); transfer carrots to bowl and set aside.
Step 4: In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or in large bowl and using hand-held mixer), beat granulated and brown sugars and eggs on medium-high until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
Step 5: Reduce speed to medium; with mixer running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, being careful to pour oil against inside of bowl (if oil begins to splatter, reduce speed to low until oil is incorporated, then resume adding oil). Increase speed to high and mix until mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 45 seconds to 1 minute longer.
Step 6: Turn off mixer and stir in carrots and dry ingredients by hand until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
Step 7: Scoop into cupcake papers, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes of baking to ensure even baking.
Step 8: Allow to cool for one minute in the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 9: For the frosting: While cupcakes are cooling, beat cream cheese and butter at medium high speed in clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix until very fluffy, about another 3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat well.
Step 10: Frost with cream cheese frosting.