Cheryl's Spicy Black Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds 85% lean gound beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of black beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (if needed to counteract the citric acid in the tomatoes)
Step 1: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, chile peppers, cumin, coriander, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Step 2: Increase heat to medium-high and add beef; cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
Step 3: Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Step 4: Remove cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if chili begins to stick to bottom of pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until beef is tender and chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened.
Step 5: Adjust seasoning with additional salt. Serve with lime wedges and condiments if desired.