Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Adapted from the Slow Roasted Italian's Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: extra shredded cheddar cheese and bacon, and fresh parsley
Step 1: Add potatoes, onion, garlic, bacon, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 hours on high, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Step 2: After the soup has cooked for 3 to 4 hours and once the potatoes are tender, add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour until completely combined. Gradually add the evaporated milk.
Step 3: Whisk the flour and milk mixture until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker, stir occasionally.
Step 4: Add the thickened milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Step 5: Using an immersion blender, puree about 1/2 of the potatoes.
Step 6: Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking the soup on high for 15 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth (or water).
Step 7: Garnish with bacon and cheddar cheese.