Chilled Avocado Soup Shooters with Spicy Breadcrumbs
Adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2010
For the Soup:
- 1 large ripe avocado (11 to 12 ounces), halved, pitted, peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (or more) vegetable broth or low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Generous pinch of coarse kosher salt
- 1 4 x 4 x 1/2-inch slice soft white sandwich bread with crust
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Step 1: For the Soup: Place diced avocado in blender. Add 1 1/2 cups broth, whipping cream, lime juice, and coarse salt.
Step 2: Puree until smooth. Transfer soup to 4-cup measuring cup; add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to thin soup, if desired. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD Soup can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Keep chilled.
Step 3: For the Breadcrumbs: Finely grind bread in processor. Melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs to skillet; stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add paprika, coarse salt, and cayenne; stir until crumbs are crisp, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to small bowl and cool. DO AHEAD Breadcrumbs can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.
Step 4: Pour cold soup into eight 1/3-cup glasses or other small glasses. Sprinkle each serving lightly with breadcrumbs.