- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Black Pepper Tofu
- Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Browned Butter Corn with Basil
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Deep Fried Artichokes
- Eggplant Parmigiana
- Green Olive Couscous
- Gujarati Undhiyo
- Ina Garten's Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Lentils with Broiled Eggplant
- Lentils with Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions
- Lynne Yao's Chinese-Style Green Beans
- Melanzane Con Uova al Forno
- Melanzane alla Parmigiana
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Pan-Roasted Asparagus
- Pan-Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes with Caper Vinaigrette
- Rudy's Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing
- Sauteed Broccoli Rabe
- Sicilian Stuffed Artichokes
- Soba Noodles with Eggplant and Mango
- The LaNasa Family Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Lentils with Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions
Submitted by administrator on Fri, 09/11/2015 - 21:22
Makes 6 servings
For the oven-roasted onions and tomatoes:
- 3 large tomatoes or 6 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
For the roasted peppers:
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 hot Hungarian wax pepper
For the lentils:
- 1-1/3 cups of small green lentils
- 2 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Maldon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons of thinly sliced scallions or chives
- 4 tablespoons of thinly sliced basil
Step 1: For the roasted onions and tomatoes: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and arrange the onions and tomatoes on a lined baking sheet with their skins facing up.
Step 2: Scatter the thyme springs on top and drizzle the tomatoes and onions with a few tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle them with some salt and roast for about an hour and a half to two hours (until the tomatoes are shriveled and blackened in places).
Step 3: Remove the tomatoes from the oven and let cool as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Step 4: For the roasted peppers: Broil the whole peppers on a sheet pan in the oven until the skins are completely wrinkled and the peppers are charred, turning them twice during roasting. Remove peppers from the oven and place in a plastic ziplock bag. Set aside for 30 minutes, or until the peppers are cool enough to handle.
Step 5: Remove the stem from each pepper and cut them in quarters. Remove the peels and seeds and place the peppers in a bowl along with any juices that have collected. Discard the stems, peels, and seeds.
Step 6: For the lentils: Add about 3-4 cups of water to a medium pot and bring it to a boil. Add the lentils (the water should cover the lentils by an inch and a quarter). Cook the lentils for approximately 20 minutes (until they are tender but not falling apart). Drain the lentils and add them to a large bowl.
Step 7: Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, salt, and freshly-ground pepper to the lentils and mix. Let the mixture cool a bit before adding the herbs and mixing to combine. Add more salt and pepper, as needed.
Step 8: Gently mix in roasted tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Pour any juices accumulated from the roasted vegetables on top. Serve as a main course or side dish.