- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Black Pepper Tofu
- Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Browned Butter Corn with Basil
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Deep Fried Artichokes
- Eggplant Parmigiana
- Green Olive Couscous
- Gujarati Undhiyo
- Ina Garten's Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Lentils with Broiled Eggplant
- Lentils with Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions
- Lynne Yao's Chinese-Style Green Beans
- Melanzane Con Uova al Forno
- Melanzane alla Parmigiana
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Pan-Roasted Asparagus
- Pan-Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes with Caper Vinaigrette
- Rudy's Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing
- Sauteed Broccoli Rabe
- Sicilian Stuffed Artichokes
- Soba Noodles with Eggplant and Mango
- The LaNasa Family Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Submitted by administrator on Sun, 03/17/2013 - 21:06
Makes 6 servings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggplant, about 3 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups simple red sauce
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs, lightly toasted under broiler
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Step 2: Using some extra-virgin olive oil, oil a baking sheet.
Step 3: Slice each eggplant into 6 pieces about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Lightly season each disk with salt and pepper and place on the oiled sheet.
Step 4: Bake the eggplant at 450 degrees F until the slices begin turning deep brown on top, about 12-15 minutes.
Step 5: Remove the eggplants from the oven. Remove the slices from the baking sheet and place them on a plate to cool.
Step 6: Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Step 7: Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil in a round 10 inch glass dish or in an 8 by 12-inch brownie pan.
Step 8: Place the 6 largest eggplant slice evenly spaced apart. Over each slice, spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with a teaspoon of basil. Place one slice of mozzarella over each and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon grated Parmigiano.
Step 9: Place the smaller slices of eggplant over each of the disks and repeat with tomato sauce, basil, and the 2 cheeses. Repeat the layering again until all the ingredients are used.
Step 10: Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs over the top of the eggplant dish.
Step 11: Bake uncovered until the cheese is melts and the tops turn light brown, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.