Simple Red Sauce for Meatballs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 cans (29 ounces/each) whole tomatoes (I use canned whole tomatoes in tomato juice and not puree. The can should say "not from concentrate.")
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar to counter citric acid in tomatoes
- fresh basil
Step 1: Heat two to three tablespoons olive oil over medium flame. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, but not brown.
Step 2: Puree whole tomatoes in a food processor. Strain out the seeds using a food mill or keep the seeds in if you don't have a food mill. Add pureed tomatoes and water to your sauteed onions and garlic. Stir well.
Step 3: Season with salt to taste. Let come to a boil, then add three or four tablespoons of tomato paste.
Step 4: Add basil approximately 10 minutes before taking the sauce off the heat.
Step 5: Serve over pasta.