Shaved Fennel Salad with Blood Oranges, Pecorino, and Pomegranates
Adapted from Mario Batali: Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
- 2 large round fennel bulbs, trimmed, and several fennel fronds set aside
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- An 8-ounce chunk hard pecorino, such as sardo or toscano, for shaving
Step 1: Using a mandoline or other vegetable slicer, shave the fennel crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
Step 2: Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil. Add the blood orange segments, pomegranate seeds, and fennel fronds and toss gently to mix.
Step 3: Season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Arrange the fennel salad on four individual plates. Shave the pecorino in long shards over each plate, and serve.