John Besh's Heirloom Salad
Adapted from John Besh's My New Orleans, The Cookbook
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large Cherokee Purple tomatoe
- 1 green Zebra tomato
- 1 Black Prince tomato
- 1 Pineapple tomato
- 2 Snow White tomatoes
- 2 green grape tomatoes
- 1/2 pint yellow or red currant or pear tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 anchovy filet, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Smallest leaves from 1 branch fresh basil
- 2 ounces ricotta salata cheese
- 4 pieces very thinly sliced prosciutto
Step 1: Wash the tomatoes and core all but the smallest ones. Then, depending on their size, slice, quarter, or halve the tomatoes or leave them whole, slicing the larger ones thickly (about 4 slices each).
Step 2: Arrange them in one big serving bowl. Season the tomatoes with a touch of salt and pepper.
Step 3: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, anchovies, sugar, pepper flakes, and a pinch or two of salt in a small bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomatoes and scatter basil leaves on them.
Step 4: Finally, coarsely crumble the cheese over the tomatoes, then arrange the slices of prosciutto on top of and around the tomatoes.