Spaghetti con le Cozze
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
Step 1: Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Step 2: In a 12-inch sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until light golden brown, about a minute. Add the wine, raise the heat, and bring to a boil, then add the mussels. Cook, stirring and tossing, until all of the mussels have opened, about 4 minutes.
Step 3: Meanwhile, drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until al dente; drain well.
Step 4: Add the pasta to the pan with the mussels and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and serve immediately.