- 1 pound package lasagna noodles
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- l tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, ground using mortar and pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) container Ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Step 1: Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.
Step 2: Saute onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until onions are translucent. Add Italian sausage and ground beef. Stir meat every 4 minutes for about 10 minutes. Strain meat through a colander to remove the excess fat.
Step 3: Add next seven ingredients and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
Step 4: Combine egg, ricotta, parmesan cheese, parsley and salt.
Step 5: In bottom of a 13x9 pan inch baking dish spoon about 1-1/2 cups of meat sauce. Layer with lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering. Cover with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes; remove foil and bake uncovered 25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.