Fettuccine al Limone
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and cut into thin slivers
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 pounds basic pasta dough, cut into fettuccine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano
Step 1: Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Step 2: Meanwhile, in a 10-to 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking. Add the onion and the red pepper flakes and sauté until softened and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: Add the jalapenos and sauté for 1 minute.
Step 4: Add the lemon zest and juice, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Step 5: Drop the fresh pasta into the boiling water and cook under tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain.
Step 6: Toss the hot pasta into the pan with the lemon mixture, return to medium heat, and mix well, stirring gently. Add the pecorino and toss quickly. Transfer to a warmed serving platter, and serve immediately.