Tyler Florence's Perfect Roast Chicken
Adapted from Tyler Florence: Stirring the Pot
Makes 4 servings
- 1 4-5 pound whole free-range organic chicken
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 garlic bulb, have through the equator (I just used 4 cloves)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1/4 bunch fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley (about 4 sprigs)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups button mushrooms
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400.
Step 2: Rinse your chicken inside and out and pat dry. Season inside the cavity with salt and pepper and stuff with the lemon, garlic, and rosemary, thyme, and sage.
Step 3: In a food processor, process the parsley and the butter until well combined and season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Place the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan, tie the legs together, and rub the herb butter over the chicken.
Step 5: Place the mushrooms in the bottom of the pan. Roast the chicken and mushrooms for about 1 hour 45 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees. Baste with the drippings and rotate the pan every 30 minute so that the chicken browns evenly.
Step 6: Remove the chicken from the oven, tent with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.