- 1 pound ground beef*
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cups pecorino romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cups water to make meatballs soft
- *For the ground beef use a cut with higher fat content (less lean) to get softer meatballs. Or better yet, buy chuck roast and have your butcher grind it for you.
Step 1: Place all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.
Step 2: After mixing it may be helpful to fry one or two small patties to determine if any ingredients need to be increased. Once mix is complete, roll into meatballs (about 1" diameter).
Step 3: An ice cream scoop can be a simple way to keep the meatball sizes consistent.
Step 4: Finish rolling into meatballs by hand.
Step 5: Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to boil. Drop meatballs in boiling water and cook until they float. This help meatballs to keep their shape when you cook them in the sauce. Reserve 2 to 3 cups of the meatball broth.
Step 6: Bring simple red sauce to a boil. If sauce is thick, add some of the meatball broth to flavor the sauce. Drop meatballs into boiling sauce and let cook on low heat for 2-3 hours.
Enjoy! But remember, sometimes spaghetti likes to be alone, so best to serve the meatballs on a separate plate.