- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Alaskan Halibut with Carrot Puree, Asparagus, and Pistou
- Almond Flounder Meunière
- Baccala Messina Style
- Baked Halibut with Tomato Caper Sauce
- Black Squid Ink Paella
- Broiled Sardines with Lemon
- Cathal Armstrong's Boullabaisse
- Crab Cakes with Imperial Sauce
- Deep Fried Smelts
- Marmitako (Fresh Tuna and Potato Stew)
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass Drizzled with a Saffron Sauce
- Pesce Arrosto in Sale (Whole Baked Fish in a Salt Crust)
- Pesce Spada alla Bagnarese (Swordfish in a Garlicky Broth, Bagnara Style)
- Roasted Branzino with Lemon
- Roasted Striped Bass with Green Olive Couscous and Grapefruit Butter
- Salmon with a Breadcrumb, Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Crust
- Sea Bass With Coconut Rice, Peanuts, And Kumquat Sambal
- Seared Sea Scallops
- Thai Shrimp Curry
- Wild Salmon with Spinach Soubise, Wilted Leeks, and Meyer Lemon Butter
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Pesce Arrosto in Sale (Whole Baked Fish in a Salt Crust)
Submitted by administrator on Thu, 06/16/2011 - 06:56
Adapted from Mario Batali: Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
- 4 pounds coarse sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole fresh snapper or salmon, weighing at least 4 pounds, cleaned
- High-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Lemon wedges
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Step 2: Pour the sea salt into a large bowl, add the egg whites, and mix vigorously until all the grains of sea salt are coated with egg whites. Spread 1/3 of the salt mixture over the bottom of a large rectangular or oval oven dish big enough to hold the whole fish. Place the fish on top.
Step 3: Cover it completely with the rest of the salt. No part of the fish should remain uncovered.
Step 4: Place the dish in the oven, reduce the heat to 400 degrees F, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish; generally, cook for 10 minutes for every inch of thickness at the widest part of the fish.
Step 5: Remove the fish from the oven. Crack the crust at the table with the handle of a knife or a small hammer.
Step 6: Serve with lemon wedges and drizzled with olive oil.