- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Alaskan Halibut with Carrot Puree, Asparagus, and Pistou
- Almond Flounder Meunière
- Baccala Messina Style
- Baked Halibut with Tomato Caper Sauce
- Black Squid Ink Paella
- Broiled Sardines with Lemon
- Cathal Armstrong's Boullabaisse
- Crab Cakes with Imperial Sauce
- Deep Fried Smelts
- Marmitako (Fresh Tuna and Potato Stew)
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass Drizzled with a Saffron Sauce
- Pesce Arrosto in Sale (Whole Baked Fish in a Salt Crust)
- Pesce Spada alla Bagnarese (Swordfish in a Garlicky Broth, Bagnara Style)
- Roasted Branzino with Lemon
- Roasted Striped Bass with Green Olive Couscous and Grapefruit Butter
- Salmon with a Breadcrumb, Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Crust
- Sea Bass With Coconut Rice, Peanuts, And Kumquat Sambal
- Seared Sea Scallops
- Thai Shrimp Curry
- Wild Salmon with Spinach Soubise, Wilted Leeks, and Meyer Lemon Butter
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Submitted by administrator on Thu, 06/16/2011 - 06:53
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (4 cloves for paella, 2 cloves for mussels)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3-4 scallions or chives, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, one for juice, another for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or more as needed)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, raw, unpeeled
- 1 pound mussels
- 4-5 large sea scallops (slice in half horizontally to yield 8-10 pieces)
- 2 skinless chicken thighs, bone in
- 1 cup run - long grain, jasmine or Valencia (not arborio)
- 3 cups chicken broth, no salt added
- 1-1/2 cups white wine
- 3 teaspoon salt
Step 1: Preheat oven to 450
Step 2: To make stock: Peel and de-vein shrimp, reserving shells.
Step 3: Slice chicken away from bone and cut each thigh into 6 to 8 bit size pieces. Set meat aside and reserve bones.
Step 4: In medium saucepan, in 1 tablespoon olive oil, saute half of the chopped onion, add chicken bones and saute until carmelized - about 5 minutes; then add shrimp shells and saute another 2 to 3 minutes until shells are bright pink.
Step 5: Reduce heat and add chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, and bay leaf. Simmer gently 10 to 15 minutes. Allow flavors to steep about 10 minutes, then strain. Can be made and refrigerated up to three days ahead.
Step 6: To prepare mussels: Submerge mussels in cold water and soak approximately 30 minutes.
Step 7: On medium high heat, saute sliced shallots, 2 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon salt in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 8: Add 1 cup of white wine and bring to boil. Add mussels, cover tightly. Steam for 8-10 minutes, shaking pan regularly to prevent burning. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 9: Meanwhile saute remaining half of onion, 4 cloves of garlic and red pepper in 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium high heat about 5 minutes. Deglaze with water or wine or broth as necessary. Be sure to rotate the pan regularly to prevent burning and ensure even cooking. Push vegetables to one side of pan and add another tbsp of olive oil to the rest of pan if necessary.
Step 10: Generously sprinkle salt over both sides of scallops, shrimp, and chicken. Saute scallops about 45 seconds on each side and remove from pan. Repeat with shrimp and remove from pan. Cover scallops and shrimp and keep warm. Deglaze pan with broth or wine as necessary.
Step 11: When pan is dry of liquid, add chicken and saute 3 to 5 minutes until no longer pink. Add rice and remaining saffron threads and mix all ingredients together. Saute 3 minutes.
Step 12: Add broth, 1/2 cup wine, juice from half lemon, remaining salt and mix thoroughly. Allow to simmer 10 to 12 minutes until liquid is reduced by half and rice is visible even when you don't stir.
Step 13: Add peas, mix thoroughly once more, then flatten out mixture with spatula so chicken, rice, and liquid are evenly distributed. Place pan in oven. At this point you will not stir the paella anymore.
Step 14: Bake paella for 10 to 15 minutes until rice begins to caramelize around the edges. If rice becomes dry, add 1/4 cup liquid around the sides and middle and continue to cook.
Step 15: Carefully remove paella from oven and arrange seafood in an attractive design on top. Sprinkle scallions generously over entire surface.
Step 16: Cover tightly with foil and allow dish to rest 10 minutes. This step ensures the rice fluffs nicely and the seafood finishes cooking. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve family style with crusty bread and aioli.