- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Candy and Snacks
- Banana Toffee Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Filling and Coconut Buttercream
- Devil's Food Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Double Shot Mocha Latte Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Limoncello Cupcakes with Limoncello Buttercream
- Martha Stewart's Tiramisu Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Pistachio Cardamom Cupcakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin or Dark Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Valentine Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Chocolate Toffee Crumble
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Triple Coconut Cupcakes filled with a Rum-Infused Coconut Custard
- Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate Vanilla Buttercream
- White Velvet Butter Cupcakes with Raspberry or Strawberry Buttercream
- Woody's Lemon Luxury Cupcakes
- Frostings and Fillings
- Pies and Tarts
- Souffles, Custards, Puddings, Ice Cream, and Frozen Desserts
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate Vanilla Buttercream
Submitted by administrator on Tue, 01/27/2015 - 17:48
My friend, Jeannette, asked me to make a very vanilla white cupcake for her community's annual Valentine's Day cupcake bake sale. I knew instantly that I wanted to make these because they are truly killer vanilla cupcakes with probably the best white chocolate vanilla buttercream I've ever had. If you are vanila cupcake lover, then this cucpake is definitely the one for you.
Vanilla cupcake recipe adapted from Rose Levy Beranbaum's white velvet butter cake found in Rose's Heavenly Cakes; white chocolate vanilla buttercream adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Makes 16 cupcakes
For the vanilla cupcakes:
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (3.2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup milk (5.6 ounces), divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (7 ounces) cake flour, sifted into cup and leveled
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened (65° to 75°F)
For the white chocolate vanilla buttercream:
- 6 ounces white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled (use a good quality white chocolate like Callebaut or Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Step 1: For the vanilla cupcakes: Set 16 cupcake liners in cupcakes pans.
Step 2: Twenty minutes or more before baking, set an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 3: In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, 3 tablespoons of the milk, and the vanilla just until lightly combined.
Step 4: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining milk and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1-1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 5: Starting on medium-low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Use a number 30 ice cream scoop or a spoon to place the batter into the prepared cupcake liners, smoothing the surfaces evenly with a small metal spatula. The liners will be about three-quarters full.
Step 6: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wire cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean and the cupcakes spring back when pressed lightly in the centers.
Step 7: Let the cupcakes cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove them from the pans and set them on a wire rack. Cool completely.
Step 8: For the white chocolate vanilla buttercream: In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute.
Step 9: Starting on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar until combined. Continue beating for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 10: Add the cooled white chocolate to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat for 2 to 4 minutes on medium speed until combined and creamy. Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat for 2 to 4 minutes until combined.
Step 11: Pipe buttercream on each cupcake.