- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Candy and Snacks
- Banana Toffee Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Filling and Coconut Buttercream
- Devil's Food Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Double Shot Mocha Latte Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Limoncello Cupcakes with Limoncello Buttercream
- Martha Stewart's Tiramisu Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Pistachio Cardamom Cupcakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin or Dark Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Valentine Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Chocolate Toffee Crumble
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Triple Coconut Cupcakes filled with a Rum-Infused Coconut Custard
- Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate Vanilla Buttercream
- White Velvet Butter Cupcakes with Raspberry or Strawberry Buttercream
- Woody's Lemon Luxury Cupcakes
- Frostings and Fillings
- Pies and Tarts
- Souffles, Custards, Puddings, Ice Cream, and Frozen Desserts
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
Submitted by administrator on Mon, 08/01/2011 - 07:24
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the caramel for the batter:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
For the cupcakes:
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup caramel for the batter
- 1 recipe for salted caramel buttercream frosting
Step 1: To make the caramel filling: Melt the sugar and salt over medium high heat in a large pot. Whisk the sugar as it melts and cook until it becomes a deep amber color.
Step 2: Add the butter and stir it in until melted.
Step 3: Carefully, pour in the heavy cream (it will sputter and foam, so step back a bit), whisk until you get a smooth sauce. You may have some lumps but keep stirring until they have melted. Remove from heat and let cool. You should have close to 2 cups. You will need 1 cup of caramel for your batter. Use the remaining caramel to make your buttercream frosting.
Step 4: To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line at least 12 muffin tins with papers.
Step 5: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla until lightly combined.
Step 6: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix on low speed using the flat beater for 30 seconds.
Step 7: Add the butter and 1 cup of the cooled caramel. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1-1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 8: Starting on low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure.
Step 9: Divide the batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about halfway full. Bake for about 20- 25 minutes (the tops should spring back from a gentle touch.) When done, transfer tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.
Step 10: Pipe salted caramel buttercream frosting on cupcakes.