Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin or Dark Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Cake Love, by Warren Brown
Makes 36 to 38 cupcakes
- 3 cups extra-fine granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can pure pumpkin (15 oz.)
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, optional
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe for Pumpkin or Dark Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350˚ F with rack in center.
Step 2: Cream the sugar and butter together in a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) on low for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add eggs and yolks one at a time, letting each incorporate before adding the next.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground cloves, salt and allspice.
Step 5: Combine pumpkin, cream, honey, rum and vanilla extract.
Step 6: With mixer still on low, alternately add dry and wet ingredients to butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry. Scrape the sides of the bowl to the bottom, then mix on medium speed for 20 seconds.
Step 7: Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 8: Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Step 9: Frost cupcakes with pumpkin or dark rum cream cheese frosting and dust with cinnamon.