Pistachio Cardamom Cupcakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup of unsalted, unroasted pistachios
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1-1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract, just until lightly combined.
Step 3: In a food processor, process the pistachios with the sugar until finely ground but not to a powder.
Step 4: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, pistachio mixture, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom on low speed for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Add the butter and remaining sour cream. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1-1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 6: Starting on medium-low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure.
Step 7: Place into cupcake papers, and bake for 16-20 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean (no crumbs) in a 350 degree oven. Let cool on a wire rack.
Step 8: Frost with Italian Meringue Buttercream.