- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Candy and Snacks
- Banana Toffee Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Filling and Coconut Buttercream
- Devil's Food Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Double Shot Mocha Latte Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Limoncello Cupcakes with Limoncello Buttercream
- Martha Stewart's Tiramisu Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Pistachio Cardamom Cupcakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin or Dark Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Valentine Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Chocolate Toffee Crumble
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Triple Coconut Cupcakes filled with a Rum-Infused Coconut Custard
- Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate Vanilla Buttercream
- White Velvet Butter Cupcakes with Raspberry or Strawberry Buttercream
- Woody's Lemon Luxury Cupcakes
- Frostings and Fillings
- Pies and Tarts
- Souffles, Custards, Puddings, Ice Cream, and Frozen Desserts
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Devil's Food Cupcakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
Submitted by administrator on Sat, 01/14/2012 - 10:49
Anyone who knows me even a little, knows how crazy I am about chocolate and peanut butter. So it’s no surprise that these cupcakes would be in my top 5 all time favorite cupcakes in the entire world. These rich, velvety, chocolate cupcakes, filled with a creamy peanut butter buttercream and frosted with that same creamy peanut butter buttercream, really are exceptional! In fact, they are so exceptional that heaven to me would be swimming in a pool filled with these cupcakes.
Cake recipe adapted from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Rose's Heavenly Cakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the Devil's Food Cake:
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate (90% or higher)
- 3/4 cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour, sifted and leveled off
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 recipe for creamy peanut butter frosting
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350. Line 2 standard cupcake pans with liners.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk the chocolate, cocoa, and boiling water until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and cool for about an hour at room temperature.
Step 3: Combine the eggs, yolks, sour cream, vanilla, and half the chocolate mixture in another bowl, just until slightly combined.
Step 4: Make the batter In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Add the butter and the remaining chocolate mixture. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 6: Starting on medium-low speed, with the mixer off between additions, add the egg mixture in two parts. Beat on medium speed for 45 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure.The batter will be slightly fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 7: Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filing each three-quarters full.
Step 8: Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden and a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 17 to 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
Step 9: To assemble the cupcakes: When cupcakes are cool, cut an upside down cone shape out of the top of your cupcake. Add your peanut butter filling to a pastry bag and squeeze filling in the cupcake using a plain round pastry tip.
Step 10: Frost cupcakes with creamy peanut butter frosting and sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups, if desired.