Chocolate Caramel Slice
Adapted from Bon Appetit, published May 2007
Makes 20 to 24 slices
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
For the toppings:
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup) or dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Flaked sea salt (such as Maldon)
Step 1: For the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Butter 11x7x2-inch metal baking pan.
Step 3: Blend first 4 ingredients in processor. Add butter. Using on/off turns, blend until coarse meal forms.
Step 4: Add 1 tablespoon ice water and egg yolk. Blend until moist clumps form.
Step 5: Press dough onto bottom of pan; pierce all over with fork. Bake until golden, piercing if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
Step 6: For the toppings: Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, butter melts, and mixture comes to boil.
Step 7: Attach candy thermometer to side of pan. Boil gently until caramel is thick and temperature registers 225°F, whisking constantly, about 6 minutes.
Step 8: Pour caramel evenly over crust; cool 15 minutes to set.
Step 9: Meanwhile, melt chocolate with cream in microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring occasionally. Spread chocolate over warm caramel; sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour.
Step 10: Cut dessert lengthwise into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 5 or 6 slices. Transfer to platter and serve.