- Banana Streusel Bread
- Bran Muffins
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Buttermilk White Bread
- Cheryl's Ultimate Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon Rolls
- English Muffins
- French Bread with Olive Oil, Dark Chocolate, and Sea Salt
- Fritti (Italian Deep-Fried Yeast Doughnuts)
- Pain Brioche
- Pains au Chocolat (Chocolate Croissants)
- Pane di Pasqua (Easter Bread)
- Pumpkin Bread
- Rudy's Delicious Pecan Caramel Rolls
- Rudy's Italian Bread
- Strawberry-Basil Muffins
- Sugar-Glazed Doughnuts
- Sun-Dried Tomato Bread
- Toasted Almond Scones
- Zucchini Bread
- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Submitted by administrator on Mon, 08/29/2011 - 18:22
Adapted from Eating Well, May/June 2007
Makes 12 muffins
- 3 tablespoons almonds
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (not thawed) strawberries, (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin pan with 12 muffin liners.
Step 2: Process almonds, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and stir to combine.
Step 3: Whisk the remaining 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
Step 4: Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup oil in a medium bowl with buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
Step 5: Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add strawberries and chopped basil; stir just to combine.
Step 6: Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the almond topping, gently pressing into the batter.
Step 7: Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
Step 8: Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes more before serving.