Adapted from Gourmet, May 1994
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound skinless fresh salmon fillet
- 1 pound smoked salmon, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- 2 teaspoons Cognac or other brandy
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- whole-wheat French or Italian bread, sliced as an accompaniment
Step 1: In a skillet bring water to a boil and add fresh salmon. Reduce heat and poach salmon at a bare simmer, turning once, about 4 minutes, or until just cooked through. Transfer salmon to a bowl and cool.
Step 2: Flake fresh salmon and add smoked salmon, butter, shallots, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, capers, Cognac or other brandy, zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir mixture until combined well and pack into a 1-quart terrine or bowl. Rillettes may be made 4 hours ahead and kept chilled, covered.