- Aunt Joyce's Blue Cheese Ball
- Cheddar Cornmeal Icebox Crackers
- Creamy Artichoke Dip
- Croquetas de Pollo
- Empanada Dough
- Fresh Fig, Mascarpone, and Pesto Torte
- Goat Cheese Crostini with Orange and Black Pepper Marmalade
- Goat Cheese Souffles in Phyllo Cups with Frisee Salad
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Crostini
- Involtini di Melanzane
- Mahro’s Hummus
- Martha Stewart's Spicy Chicken Empanadas
- Mini Sweet Peppers Stuffed with Herbed Goat Cheese
- Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
- Parmesan-Rosemary Icebox Crackers
- Patatas Bravas
- Pesto Arancini
- Piquillo Peppers Stuffed with Goat Cheese
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Medjool Dates Stuffed with Cheese
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Romesco Sauce
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Salmon Rillettes
- Seared Piquillo Peppers Stuffed with Roncal Cheese
- Spicy Meat Empanadas
- Stuffed Mushrooms Parmigiano
- Stuffed Vegetables Genovese Style (Ripieni all'Antica)
- Thomas Keller's Smoked and Steamed Salmon Rillettes
- Tyler Florence's Crab Dip with Garlic Saltines and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Breakfast, Brunch, and Eggs
- Fish and Shellfish
- Meats and Poultry
- Pasta and Rice
- Pizza, Flatbreads, and Savory Tarts
- Sides and Vegetables
- Soup, Salads, and Stews
Goat Cheese Souffles in Phyllo Cups with Frisee Salad
Submitted by cheryl on Wed, 06/08/2011 - 20:28
For the phyllo cups:
- 6 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
For soufflé filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs, separated
- finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup)
- 5 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 6 radishes, cut into very thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Step 1: To make cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
Step 2: Cover stack of phyllo with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel. Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface and brush with some butter, then top with 2 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
Step 3: Cut buttered stack into 6 (4 1/2-inch) squares with a sharp knife, trimming sides as needed. Line each of 6 muffin cups with a square. Make 6 more phyllo cups (4 are extra, in case of breakage) in same manner with remaining pastry sheets and butter.
Step 4: Bake cups in middle of oven until golden, about 8 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack.
Step 5: To make filling: Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
Step 6: While cups are cooling, melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes.
Step 7: Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking.
Step 8: Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, yolks, and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano until combined, then fold in goat cheese. Cover surface of mixture with wax paper if not using immediately.
Step 9: Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks.
Step 10: Fold one third of whites into sauce to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
Step 11: Spoon batter into 8 phyllo cups and sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake in middle of oven until soufflés are puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
Step 12: Make salad while soufflés bake: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
Step 13: Just before soufflés are ready, toss frisée and radishes in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat. Mound salad onto 8 plates and sprinkle with chives, then make a small nest in center of each.
Step 14: Place a soufflé cup in each salad and serve immediately.